GreenSpirit is a network of people who celebrate the human spirit in the context of our place in the natural world and Earth's own evolutionary journey. Our radical vision brings together the rigour of science, the creativity of artistic expression, the passion of social action and the wisdom of spiritual traditions of all ages. Attracting those of many faith traditions, we are a body of people who believe that human life has both an ecological and a spiritual dimension. Together we:
* understand humanity as integral to the planetary landscape rather than its distinguishing feature
* find inspiration in the traditions of Earth-based peoples and Celtic spirituality
* are exploring the unfolding story of the Universe and promote common ground between people in the context of this vision
* seek to redress the balance of masculine and feminine and befriend darkness as well as light
* create ceremonies and celebrations which connect us more consciously with the cycle and seasons of the Earth
* seek a more just, sustainable and peaceful way of life in harmony with the Earth
GreenSpirit (formally the Association for Creation Spirituality) stands in a long tradition of "green spirituality" which embraces such figures as Hildegard of Bingen, Rumi, Meister Eckhart, Francis of Assisi, the Romantic poets and Teihard de Chardin. Influenced initially by Matthew Fox's "Creation-Centred Spirituality", the name GreenSpirit was adopted in 1997 to reflect our broad appeal to those both within and beyond the Christian tradition. The vision of GreenSpirit is today inspired by leading-edge figures in the fields of religion, science and cosmology, such as cultural historian Thomas Berry, mathematical physicist Brian Swimme and social activist and "deep ecologist" Joanna Macy.
We have a nation-wide network of local groups and our membership is supported by an active Council and a paid administrator. You can find details of forthcoming events, our social network, resource pack, magazine and more on this website.
GreenSpirit is a UK registered charity. Membership is open to everyone, details of how to join are at: www.greenspirit.org.uk/html/join.shtml
At our weekend annual gathering each year in the autumn, we hold our AGM where council members and officers are elected for the following year.
GreenSpirit runs national events and supports a network of local groups as well as publishing a regular magazine and eNewsletter. GreenSpirit also has its own online social network and email list.
Click here to read about the current members of the GreenSpirit council.